- The Club shall be known as the BURTON BUSINESS CLUB.
- Objectives – The objectives of the Club shall be to provide an open forum for discussion on business problems and to provide and encourage opportunities for inter-trading between members and to enable Members to hear speakers on specialist subjects.
- Membership – Membership is open to anyone with an interest in business.
- Honorary Members – The Committee shall have the power if it deems in the best interest of the Club, to appoint Honorary Members.
- Committee – The Club shall be managed by a Committee of Members who shall remain in office for a one year term. At each Annual General Meeting there shall be elected a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary of the Club (hereinafter called the Executive Officers) and six to eight other Committee Members, the number to be determined at any time by the Executive Officers. Subject to termination or resignation or otherwise, the Committee shall remain in office until the completion of the Annual General Meeting next following their election. The Committee shall have the power with the consent of any Member to co-opt her/him onto the Committee. The retiring Executive Officers shall be eligible for re-election.
- Subscriptions – The Annual subscription shall be set by the Committee and submitted for approval at the Annual General Meeting. It is due on joining and thereafter annually on the 1st of May. The Committee may cancel the membership of any Member whose subscription is 28 days or more in arrears.
- Non-Members – Any non-member may attend any General Business Meeting of the Club. No membership fee will be payable by him/her. No non-member may attend more than two General Business Meetings without joining the Club.
- Discipline – The Committee shall have the power to expel any member if his/her conduct shall, in the opinion of the Committee, render them unfit for membership of the Club. Before such a Member is expelled, the Secretary shall give him/her seven days written notice to attend a meeting of the Committee and shall inform him/her of the complaint(s) made against him/her. No Member shall be expelled without first having the opportunity of appearing before the Committee and answering complaints against him/her, nor unless two thirds of the Committee who are present vote in favour of his/her expulsion. No Member whose membership has been terminated under this Constitution or who owes money to the Club shall attend any meeting or be introduced by any other Member as a visitor or guest to any meeting of the Club.
- Constitution – The Committee shall have the power to alter the Constitution. However, no such alteration shall take effect until the same has been confirmed at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting convened for the purpose.
- By-Laws – The Committee shall have the power to make By-Laws for regulating the conduct and affairs of the Club providing the same are not inconsistent with the Constitution. Such By-Laws shall be handed to every new Member upon joining and to all existing Members as soon as they are made and shall be binding on all Members.
- Annual General Meetings – The Club shall hold every year during the month of April, an Annual General Meeting to transact the following business:
- To receive, and if approved to accept, a statement of the Clubs accounts for the previous year.
- To consider, and if approved to sanction, any duly made alteration to the Constitution and By-Laws.
- To appoint Executive Officers.
- To appoint Committee Members.
- To deal with any special matter which the Committee desire to bring before the membership and to receive instructions from Members for consideration by the Committee.
- Notice convening the Annual General Meeting shall be sent to all Members not less than 14 days before the meeting and shall specify the matters to be dealt with.
- Nominations for Executive Officers must reach the Secretary at least 7 days before the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for other Committee Members must be made prior to the commencement of the Annual General Meeting.
- Special General Meetings – A Special General Meeting may be convened at any time by the Committee and shall be convened within 28 days from receipt of a requisition in writing signed by not less than one third of the paid-up Members specifying the object of the meeting for any of the following purposes:
- To consider, and if approved, sanction any duly made alteration to the Constitution.
- To deal with any special matter which the Committee may desire to place before the Members including the expulsion of a Member.
- To receive the resignation of the Committee or to remove any Member or Members from office or to fill any vacancy or vacancies caused thereby.
- To deal with any special matter which the Members requiring the meeting desire to place before the Club.
- Notice convening a Special General Meeting shall be sent to all Members not less than 21 days before the meeting and shall specify the matters to be dealt with.
- Presiding Officer – At Committee Meetings and General Meetings the Chairman or Vice Chairman shall preside and he/she shall have a casting vote in the event of equality of votes.
- Quorum – At Committee Meetings three of the Committee Members shall form a quorum of which two must be Executive Officers of the Club.
- Bank Accounts – Bank accounts shall be maintained in the name of the Club. The names of the persons to sign cheques shall be authorised by a resolution of the Committee and a mandate given to the bank accordingly. A copy of such resolution must be signed by the Chairman at the time.
- Discontinuance of the Club – If the Club is discontinued the balance in the accounts after all expenses have been paid, shall be given to a charity or charities nominated by the last Committee.